Under the direct supervision of the Practice Administrator, the
Surgery Scheduler is responsible for scheduling appointments with
providers and specialists, answering calls, printing out schedules,
answering phones, and assisting with the creation of provider
schedules. It is imperative that a Surgery Scheduler maintain
excellent customer service skills and treat all patients in a
friendly, helpful manner. This position must work as a team player,
provide help and support to their co-workers, and demonstrate
professionalism through adherence to Ogden Clinic mission, vision,
1. Provide professional and courteous service to all "customers"
of Ogden Clinic. Customers include all Ogden Clinic patients,
affiliates, providers, administration, employees, co-workers,
insurance company representatives, and all other vendor
2. Meet behavioral expectations and support the dignity of all
persons. Also responsible for the stewardship of resources.
3. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the CISCO phone system
and Clinic Information System applications.
4. Study, understand, and adhere to all Ogden Clinic Policies
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Coordinate department schedules and act as a liaison between
department and manager.
2. Provide training to staff and assist with department
3. Operate computer to enter and retrieve data.
4. Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
5. Maintain excellent documentation skills.
6. Schedule appointments for all providers in assigned area.
7. Ensure that each appointment is scheduled correctly and in
harmony with department's preference.
8. Provide excellent customer service while scheduling patients
for assigned providers.
9. Make reminder phone calls for next-day appointments.
10. Pre-register new patients for next-day appointments and
advise them as to correct information to bring to the
11. Interview patients, verify patient information by confirming
purpose of visit or treatment, measure vital signs (pulse rate,
temperature, blood pressure, weight, height, etc.), and record
information on electronic medical record (EMR).
12. As directed by provider, give instructions to patients,
transmit prescriptions, and enter all information into electronic
medical record appropriately and accurately.
13. Mail recall letters as directed.
14. Take appropriate phone messages and follow through with
15. Obtain pre-authorization from insurance companies on
surgeries and procedures or tests requiring authorization; document
authorization in electronic medical record (EMR).
16. Enter surgical charge tickets with provider and patient
1. Additional responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
2. Maintain confidentiality of patient records and
1. EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree
2. LANGUAGE SKILLS: Proficient in reading and interpreting
documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions, and procedure manuals. Able to write routine reports
and correspondence as well as speak effectively before groups of
customers or employees.
3. Mathematical skills: Able to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide simple equations.
4. Reasoning skills: Able to apply common sense understanding to
carry out instructions in written, oral, or diagram form. Also able
to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in
5. Effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously with
6. Work scheduled hours for the position.
7. Maintain confidentiality of patient records and
8. Computer knowledge with experience in basic word processing
9. General office equipment and procedure knowledge
1. Must maintain a "can do" attitude.
2. Must effectively participate as a team member with
3. Must have good organizational skills.
4. Must effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
5. Must protect confidential information in patient records and
1. Requires prolonged sitting.
2. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard
and other office equipment.
3. Requires prolonged viewing of a computer monitor.
4. May require some bending, stooping, lifting, and stretching
for supplies etc.
5. Must possess all physical abilities necessary to perform the
6. Noise level is moderate with constant conversations,
computers, printers, telephones, etc.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be
construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills,
efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is
intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and
level of the job.