Operations Manager - Home Building
Company: Meritage Homes
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Responsibilities:Meritage Homes is seeking an experienced Area
Construction Manager. This person will manage new home construction
for an assigned area, ensuring homes are delivered according to
specified cycle time, within allotted budgets, and achieve division
and company customer satisfaction goals. This person will manage
Construction personnel through implementation and oversight of
systems and procedures.
FUNDAMENTAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Recruit, interview, and hire area construction personnel utilizing
Meritage Homes Standard Operation Procedures.
- Ensure the thorough training of all area construction
personnel, i.e. technical training; scopes-of-work, warranty
specifications, and customer satisfaction.
- Continually assess the educational needs of construction
personnel and provide internal or external training as
- Conduct quarterly Growth Reviews with Construction Managers;
- Resolve any employee questions or issues; handle performance
problems as necessary.
- Generate and monitor monthly management reports reflecting
pertinent employee data, i.e. Customer satisfaction, cycle time,
quality inspections, budgets, etc.
- Meet with Construction Managers, Project Managers and Customer
Care to discuss pertinent issues and maintain open
- Establish and maintain a career path system for Construction to
promote growth opportunities.
- Make determinations and set criteria on financial incentives to
be given to construction personnel.
- Handle personnel terminations, (after reviewing information
Plans and Designs
Continually review and value engineer plans; make recommendations
- Work with all departments, as necessary, to produce plans and
specifications within established time frames.
- Review and ensure the accuracy, completeness of all plans.
Standardize all plans to the highest
Monitor construction activity to ensure homes are started within
the established parameters for both pre-sold and showcase
- Track and monitor Accounting Release process and
- Monitor the Start Status Report and recommend priorities.
- Release homes per established slotting schedule to ensure
proper sequencing of starts and closings.
Monitor the construction personnel's use of the weekly schedule to
maximize utilization across the Area/Division.
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of the schedule and make
recommendations for improvements.
- Maintain a master schedule and weekly production report for key
phases of construction to ensure contractor availability and even
- Monitor cycle time to ensure division goals for building cycle
time are met.
Construction and Warranty Costs
Establish General Construction and Weather Conditions budgets.
- Monitor hard costs for adherence to budget.
- Monitor budgets for variances and approve/disapprove all cost
- Provide input on the creation of all budgets.
- Ensure Construction personnel document and properly communicate
variance data in order to identify take-off and budget
- Summarize and chart variance data provided by Construction
personnel; provide feedback to
management regarding ways to eliminate or minimize problems.
- Ensure job site waste is properly controlled.
- Communicate Key Performance Measures and cost information and
the role the Construction
Managers have in impacting these factors.
- Continually develop and solicit feedback to determine ways to
execute all functions more efficiently to improve overall margins
of the Division.
- Capture Warranty costs by item to identify areas for
Establish and enforce quality standards for materials, workmanship
and final product.
- Conduct periodic inspections of all homes under construction in
assigned area; inspect all aspects of construction including
foundation, framing, stucco installations, electrical, plumbing,
- Review quarterly Avid surveys for actionable items and trends;
initiate procedures to resolve
issues to improve customer satisfaction.
- Monitor adherence to all phases of the established quality
control system; i.e. in-line inspections, final management quality
- Ensure quality is built into each home in order to minimize
- Work with the Purchasing Department to establish quality
standards for materials.
- Assist in the resolution of any construction quality issues,
which become apparent during the
construction and warranty period.
- Ensure procedures for water intrusion and mold remediation are
Ensure Construction Managers maintain the established standards for
the community regarding
cleanliness, safety and appearance, i.e. accessibility to homes,
erosion control, street cleaning, etc.
- Ensure all trade partners and employees fully comply with OSHA
Regulations and Meritage safety program.
- Ensure Construction Managers enforce all job site rules and
regulations as stated in contractor
- Ensure field compliance with the community SWPPP
- Ensure show homes are completed and turned over to sales within
established cycle time and are maintained in accordance with
Trade Partner Management
Ensure all construction personnel maintain a mutually beneficial
relationship between trade partners and the division.
- Ensure a complete Scope of Work is provided to and reviewed
with each trade partner.
- Ensure new trade partners receive proper training in all
division policies and procedures.
- Provide support to Construction personnel regarding the
resolution of trade partner conflicts; make final decisions
regarding resolution of issues, when necessary.
- Solicit feedback from contractors on areas for improvement and
ways to strengthen the
- Ensure all trade partners are under contract and are current
with all insurance requirements.
- Establish a system to measure trade partners' performance with
regards to quality workmanship, on cycle completion and other
standards set for new home construction.
Ensure Construction Managers promptly and courteously respond to
all customer questions and
- Resolve any homeowner issues during the construction and
warranty process, which cannot be
effectively handled by the Construction Manager.
- Review homeowner survey results with respect to the
construction process; implement changes or improvements where
- Ensure all homeowner contact points, i.e., pre-construction
meetings, pre-drywall meetings, homeowner orientations, are
conducted according to established procedures.
- Communicate to Construction personnel the customer satisfaction
process and the role they play in that process.
- Ensure all elements of the Homeowner's Manual are being
properly communicated to homeowners; ensure accurate expectations
are set with the homeowner for new home maintenance versus warranty
- Work with the Area Customer Care Manager to analyze data
regarding recurring warranty problems; implement changes to
minimize or eliminate concerns.
Construction Management Planning
Plan for ways to anticipate and deal with problems or recurring
issues in an ongoing effort to minimize crisis management.
- Use a Manning or Staffing plan to determine Construction
personnel capacities, location of field staff, and future hiring
needs based on projected sales and growth levels.See what one of
our Construction Managers has to say about what it's like to work
Construction for Meritage Homes!
- Five (5) years experience in homebuilding. A portion of the
experience qualifications may be substituted
by a degree in Construction Management.
- Two (2) years of experience managing Construction personnel on
multiple job sites.Knowledge/Technical Skills:
- Advanced training in one or more trades, strongly
- Knowledge of homebuilding and construction systems/processes,
building codes, and Register of Contractor Standards (ROC).
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and other construction
- Good computer skills; proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Strong Communication, Interpersonal, and Customer Service
- Ability to explain complex issues in a manner easily understood
by industry personnel and customers with limited knowledge of
construction processes or terminology
- Ability to work with contractors, laborers, employees at all
levels, and customers with a high degree of professionalism
- Excellent problem/conflict resolution skills; ability to
influence others and manage conflict in a positive manner
- Strong leadership skills; ability to set priorities, delegate
tasks, train and mentor Construction ManagersOverview:Are you
looking for an incredible career opportunity? Then Meritage Homes
is the place for you! From the homes we build to the careers we
offer, we believe in quality. Meritage Homes is the ENERGY STAR -
Partner of The Year in Sustained Excellence for being a leader in
protecting the environment and advancing energy efficiency in
homebuilding. We are looking for candidates who are excited about
furthering their careers, as well as being a part of an
organization that helps people live happier, healthier lives. With
over 100,000 homes built, Meritage Homes is looking for
professionals who are self-starters and want to help our
organization grow by providing new and innovative ideas.
When joining Meritage Homes, you and your career can benefit in
several ways, including:
- A work environment that encourages creativity and innovative
ideas from every level
- An organization that lives by its core values everyday
- Team atmosphere where very individual is considered a vital
- State of the art technology to provide an optimal working
- A competitive pay structure
- Strong benefits
- Flexibility in work-life integration
- Team-oriented environment where all individuals play an
integral role in the company
- Opportunity to further your career in a growing national
- Maintain a competitive drive to be the best
Keywords: Meritage Homes, Bountiful , Operations Manager - Home Building, Professions , Bountiful, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!